Easily one of the most common Indian lentil dishes, Daal Tadka gets its distinct flavour from Hing or Asafoetida. Mix daals or lentils of your choice like Tur Daal, Moong Daal, Masoor or Urad and make it really flavourful by adding Tassyam’s Hingwale Range of Hing.
Tadka Daal served with rice and a dollop of ghee is the ultimate comfort food loved by one and all. Make this extremely simple dish and serve it with love.
Here’s a quick recipe for Daal Tadka:
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Serves – Up to 3 people
1 Cup Daal/ Your choice of lentil or combination of lentils
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 Onion finely chopped
1 Tomato finely chopped
2 tsp crushed garlic (optional)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
Few coriander leaves
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to Taste
For the Tempering or Tadka
2 tsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds or jeera
3 red chillies
Few curry leaves
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp Asafoetida or Hing
1. Pressure cook the lentils in 4 cups of water for around 4 to 5 whistles
2. Heat ghee in a pan and saute onions until they are golden brown
3. Add the crushed garlic and ginger, Saute for a minute
4. Add tomatoes and cook till they get mushy and start to release oil
5. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder, coriander powder
6. Now add the cooked daal and mix well. Add salt to taste
7. Adjust the consistency by adding water if needed and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
8. Now for the tadka, in a pan add ghee.
9. Splutter mustard seeds, add jeera and once they start to sizzle, add garam masala powder, curry leaves, dried chilli and hingwale hing.
10. Pour the tadka on daal and serve it hot with steamed rice