Chia seeds are the latest buzz in the health food segment. Although it is one of the ancient seeds used by the Aztecs and Mayans back in 3500 BC, it is just recently that it has re-entered as a superfood.
Chia seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients including proteins, fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats. It is the highest plant source of omega 3 fatty acids and is gluten-free, making it a suitable choice for all. It aids weight management, making sure you stay full for longer.
Yes, the benefits are plentiful. Your body deserves this nutrient powerhouse. Fortunately, chia seeds are versatile and can be added to a variety of food easily. Here are some recipes to make the best of chia seeds:
1. Chia Oatmeal Super-Start
Have this breakfast bowl in the morning and you are sure to stay super-charged for the day. The healthyrolled oats from Tassyam combined along with the goodness of chia seeds, make for a delicious duo. Besides, adding fruits like banana, berries, raisins, it is a combination that is wholesome and tasty.
Rolled Oats – 1/2 Cup
3 Teaspoon Chia Seeds
1 Banana sliced
Goji berries, cranberries, raisins or any other fruit or nuts of your choice
Water or Milk to Cook Oats
1. Cook the oats in water. Bring 1 cup of water or milk to a boil in a saucepan, Stir in the rolled oats and cook for about 5 minutes in medium flame.
2. Soak chia seeds in water
3. Remove the oats, add in the banana and fruits of your choice
4. Finally, add the soaked chia seeds. Drizzle honey to sweeten the oatmeal if you like
2. Chia Jam
Get your little ones to eat healthy without a fuss. Simply sneak in some chia seeds into their jam spread. Making jam at home need not be tedious, it’s easy, plus there is no preservatives, pectins. The chia seedsare all you need to thicken up your jam. Here’s how:
2 Cups Chopped Fresh Fruit of Your Choice
1 to 2 Teaspoons Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 to 2 Teaspoons Honey
2 Teaspoon Chia Seeds
1. Cook the chopped fruits in a saucepan until it starts to breakdown and become syrupy for about five to ten minutes
2. Mash the fruit with the back of the spatula leaving it as smooth or chunky as you want
3. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and lemon juice
4. Add in the chia seeds and mix together
5. The chia seeds will start to thicken the jam. Cool the jam, transfer it to a jar and enjoy this nutritious spread on your toast, chappathis or pancakes