Mulled Wine is not only the new hip thing but also a great way of turning your leftover or cheap boring wines into something decadent and so perfect for this winter.
These wines may sound fancy but they are super convenient to make and comforting to drink especially with our monotonous work-from-home lifestyles. All it takes is a bunch of your favourite sweet spices, some fruits and the cheapest wine that you can get your hands on.
Traditionally all the ingredients would be simmered for a long time and served warm with a slice of fresh fruit. But often this simmering results in a percentage of the alcohol evaporating off, making the drink quite child-friendly. But worry not! We have found a convenient hack that lets you enjoy a perfect mug of mulled wine without losing that warm alcoholic hug.
Rather than emptying the whole bottle, just let the spices and fruits simmer in a part of the wine in a pan. Once infused, pour in the rest of the bottle and gently warm up.
If you are feeling extra and want to give yourself a treat for making it through the worst year of our generation add in two shots of any spirit, preferable sweet vermouth or cognac.
Here’s the list of mulled wine ingredients and recipe for you!
Ingredients: For a 750mL bottle of red wine
- Tassyam Gusto Premium Spicerie Cinnamon- 2 sticks
- Tassyam Spicerie Green Cardamom- 3 buds
- Tassyam Spicerie black peppercorns- 8 corns
- Tassyam Premium Handpicked Cloves- 3
- Tassyam Dried Cranberries- 4 tablespoons
- Star anise- 1
- Orange slices- one big orange with peel on
- Apple slices- half an apple.
- Sugar or honey- to taste
- Optional- Brandy or sweet vermouth: 60mL
- Just simmer all your lovely spices and juicy fruits in a 250mL of the wine for 30 minutes.
- Mix the hot mixture into the rest of the wine.
- Finish it off with some brandy or sweet vermouth if you are in for an extract kick.
- Heat the entire mixture slightly. Do not boil.
- Garnish with a fresh slice of food and serve warm.