Almond is considered super food for a reason. It is the most nourishing nut available with a wide variety of benefits due to the presence of vital elements like protein, zinc, calcium, omega-3 fatty acid etc.
Almond milk is a healthy vegan alternative to milk. You can use homemade almond milk anywhere you'd normally use dairy milk — in cereal, in coffee, pancake batter, milkshakes, etc. With homemade almond milk, you can ensure good quality of the finished product - freshness, sweetness, and thickness. Furthermore, homemade almond milk contains no additives or preservatives.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making your own almond milk at home…
- 2 cup raw organic almond kernels
- 4 cups filtered water
- Natural sweeteners like agave syrup, maple syrup etc(to taste, optional)
- High-power Blender
- Soak almonds in water overnight or soak the almonds in boiled water for about an hour and then drain.
- Put the drained almonds in a blender and add the filtered water.
- Blend on the highest speed for a couple of minutes.
- Place a cheesecloth over a bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into it.
- Gently squeeze it to release the milk.
- Rinse the blender and pour the milk back in. Add in the sweetener of your choice. (optional)
- Pour into a bottle or jar and secure with a lid. Store in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
You can reuse the pulp. Place it in the oven on lowest heat until completely dry. Run through blender to make almond flour. You can also use it in baking or smoothies.
You can make a variety of flavor combinations like using strawberries for strawberry almond milk, cocoa powder for chocolate almond milk or any other flavor you desire!