A pizza has four main components: the base, the toppings, the cheese and the love… wait, I meant the sauce.
A difference between a so-so pizza and a good pizza is the amount of love that had been poured into it, especially its sauce. Often taken for granted, the pizza sauce is liquid gold for any pizza lover! Combined with your homemade pizza base this combination is simply divine.
For more on the pizza base, follow this link: How to get your Pizza right | Foolproof Pizza dough | Tassyam
A pizza sauce does not necessarily need to be made from tomatoes, for example, a pesto sauce. That being said, a classic tomato sauce is still hard to beat.
So today let’s talk about this classic pizza sauce!
Even after being established as a classic, tomato sauce comes in many variations, cooked or raw, pureed or chunky. No matter the variations these simple ingredients are all that you need to make a beautiful tomato sauce for your pizza at home!
- Tomatoes- Farm fresh or canned, both works fine
- Olive oil
- Herbs- Basil, Oregano, Thyme, even dill
- Salt, pepper and sugar
There are no measurements mentioned today because I believe a tomato sauce that has been made from the heart, rather than a mathematical formula hits home than any textbook sauce. So use the ingredients as you want. A fan of garlic? Add a couple of extra spoons! Don’t like a herb? Skip it. Feel free to experiment and go with the flow!
Here’s a basic step by step guide for creating your sauce:
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté chopped garlic and onion in it.
- Once brown, add roughly chopped tomatoes. Feel free to add tomato juice if too thick, or tomato paste if you want it to be more tomatoey. ‘
- Cook it down till the raw smell goes away and add herbs.
- Cook for another couple of minutes and season. Add sugar if the sauce is too sour, as just like people all tomatoes are different.
- Let it cool.
You can either blend it into a smooth paste and pass it through a sieve or leave it rustic and chunky. Another interesting tomato sauce recipe is where you chop all your ingredients and allow it to ferment for a day or two! This sauce is one of my personal favourites.
Tip: Recycle this same recipe for pasta sauce too!
So, what are you waiting for? Make that pizza delicious.
Tassyam Napoletana Pizza Seasoning 200g (2x 100g) | Dispenser Bottle, Italian Pizza Pasta Herb Masala
In Same Category
- How to use yeast | A beginner’s guide to Baker’s yeast | Tassyam
- How to get your pizza toppings right | Pizza Topping Ideas | Tassyam
- How to get your Pizza Sauce right | Easy Tomato Sauce | Tassyam
- Homemade Soups 101 | Broth Basics 3 | International Soups
- How to get your Pizza right | Foolproof Pizza dough | Tassyam